Led by artist Nujoom Al Ghanem, the 2023 ART + TECH programme, titled ‘Exploring Neoconceptual Art’, brings together 20 students from eight universities: 42 Abu Dhabi; Abu Dhabi University; American University of Sharjah; Khalifa University; New York University Abu Dhabi; Sorbonne University Abu Dhabi; United Arab Emirates University and Zayed University.
Students have participated in a number of workshops with Al Ghanem over several months, exploring phenomena, conducting research on weather methodologies, and creating art concepts derived from scientific studies. The workshops will culminate in an installation that will be exhibited at Al Ain Oasis in tandem with the Fair. The installation will be on display from 22 November until 21 January 2024.
Selected students from the ART + TECH programme will also have their works displayed at a group exhibition at 42 Abu Dhabi, open from 22 November until 21 January 2024.
Areas of Exploration:
• Utilizing Art tools to approach and question specific phenomena.
• Conducting research to find the similarities and differences between traditional and scientific methodologies in understanding weather.
• Using a Durour Ancient Astronomical Local Chart as a case study for testing change in weather and its impact on our environment and plants.
• Creating art concepts derived from the scientific studies.
• Capturing images, videos, sounds and other artifacts from Al-Ain Oasis to develop art projects.
• Creating a portal composed of all the efforts and activities of the participants.
• Creating one artwork or more to show case the successful contributions of participants and guest artist of this program to be exhibited in Al-Ain Oasis.